If I had a dollar for every time someone put their aches and pains down to old age I would be one rich physio!
Although it is true things begin to creak and crack a little more as we get older, this is not an excuse to lay back and put our feet up and throw in the towel. IN FACT – This is the time we need to work our hardest to keep our bodies active and healthy. It is also the time when the work we put in makes the biggest difference to our lifestyle.
SO WHAT CAN WE DO? SIMPLE! All we need to remember is the FIVE S’s:
1. Strength – a short exercise routine to maintain power and stability through key muscle groups.
2. Stamina – 10,000 steps a day or 30-60 mins of activity 5 times per week.
3. Suppleness – stretching to maintain length and balance in muscles to prevent tightness and injury.
4. Skill – having a hobby or skill encourages brain activity and prevents cognitive decline.
5. Psychology – the release of endorphins during activity can reduce pain, anxiety and depression.
Incorporating these 5 principles into your daily routine can make all the difference to allow you to grow old gracefully.
If you would like some pointers as to what areas you need to work on and for a personalised routine of your own please give us a call and arrange a consult today.